Thursday, July 19, 2012

DIY Kitchen: Yogurt, Sprouts, and Popsicles

I used to work full-time from home, which I hardly miss, except for my flexibility, especially when it comes to cooking, food shopping, and eating. 

I was able to food shop in the middle of the day, sans traffic and after work crowds. Instead of buying lunch out or packing it the night before, I enjoyed taking a break and making it fresh. And because I worked more efficiently and wasn't commuting, I was able to take the time to cook almsot entirely from scratch.

These days I'm a full-time grad student with a part-time job. While making my own chicken stock and baking my own bread has fallen to the wayside, there are a few DIY things that I've carried with me into this new phase in life. Not only are they simple, cost effective, and more sustainable, I get satisfaction from keeping up old habits. I hope to one day down the road return to my scratch kitchen. 

Here are a few things to make at home rather than buy:

Photo from Target.com
Yogurt


To make yogurt at home you need a yogurt maker, milk, and a small container of store bought yogurt (just the first time around). Boil the milk, pour it into a yogurt maker, drop in a spoonful of already made yogurt, and let it sit in the maker overnight. I sometimes add vanilla extract too. 

I prefer yogurt makers with individual cups made of glass. 

Photo from Amazon
Sprouts

To grow sprouts at home, you simply need something to grow them in and seeds. While many people use the ball jar method, I like to use an actual sprout grower to grow in phases. Throw in some seeds, water twice a day, and wait 3-4 days, then you'll have fresh sprouts for sandwiches and salads. 
Photo from Amazon

Popsicles 

Growing up, my mother used to pour lemonade, cider, or orange juice into popsicle molds, and I started doing this a few years ago during a blisteringly hot summer. Fruit juice, frozen fruit, and custard work great, but I've been testing out some recipes and using popsicles as a go-to, affordable, and low calorie dessert. This recipe includes (your homemade) yogurt.



No comments:

Post a Comment