Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Reduce Your Travel Stress: Pack Light and Carry-on

During a month-long visit to Israel this summer, I took a trip to Morocco with my company. Packing for Morocco was easy. I took pretty much everything I'd brought to Israel for the month. I packed all of my casual clothes for the daytime, the three dresses I had with me for the evenings, and some cute tops "just in case." Needless to say I had no clothing concerns in Morocco.

But I had some serious concerns when we landed back in Tel Aviv and my suitcase was missing. At first, these concerns were abated by a conversation I had with a fellow passenger whose bag also didn't show. She said this happens to her all the time, and that the bag would arrive at my doorstep within two days. I was also somewhat reassured by the fact that nearly half of my coworkers didn't get their suitcases, either.


When, two days later, each of those coworkers received their luggage and I didn't, my serious concern turned into downright helpless, fearful anxiety. Now, you may say, "it's just stuff." And you'd be right -- in my absent suitcase there were merely things. But I'm the type of girl who hates shopping (honest). I have picky taste and strange proportions. Those things were all of my favorites that had taken me months to find. They would not be easily replaceable.

What makes this story ridiculous is that a week after this incident, I flew home to Boston through Paris, and my remaining suitcase was also lost. No joke. To my fortune (turns out I still had some!), that bag, which the airline held up for "security reasons" and then mis-tagged and sent to Seattle, did eventually find it's way back to me.

Six thoughts to take away from this story:
  • Pack light and carry-on. Put everything on your bed and then take half of it away before you put anything in that suitcase. If you can avoid checking a bag, do it. 
  • Let go of the need for options. The satisfaction of traveling light will surpass the dissatisfaction of re-wearing some outfits.
  • If you're traveling with only a carry-on, familiarize yourself with the 3-1-1 guide to bypass any potential liquid-related problems at security.
  • If you're traveling with someone, fill each suitcase with both of your belongings. If one bag disappears, you'll both still have something to wear.
  • Put your information inside your suitcase, not only on the outer tag.
  • Be persistent. If your bag is lost, your persistence with airport officials may get you some favorable compensation.

No comments:

Post a Comment