Thursday, August 2, 2012

Living Summertime Through the Movies


Every year, without fail, August sneaks up on me. It feels like summer has just begun, and then all of sudden we only have a month left. This year it seems to have snuck up especially fast since I’ve been working and taking classes all summer.

If you’re having a particularly busy summer like me, one in which you may not be able to get away and enjoy the season, here are some movies imbued with the spirit of the season to stir up some nostalgia. Unwind from a busy day spent inside and lose yourself in summer for a bit.


Image from IMDB

Wet Hot American Summer: A hilarious, kitschy, summer camp movie. There is no shortage of summer camp movies, but I think this one’s my favorite.

Image from IMDB


Now and Then: Yes, I’ll admit it, I love this movie. Bike riding? Creek swimming? A transformative, coming-of-age summer set in 1970? What’s not to love?

Image from IMDB

Adventureland: A more grown up version of Now and Then. A transformative, coming-of-age summer, this time for college graduate James Brennan (played by Jesse Eisenberg) versus a gaggle of middle school girls.

Image from IMDB

The Door in the Floor: Unlike the others, this one is a little dark (so don’t choose it if you need cheering up). It made my list because it’s set in the Hamptons during the summer, screaming of posh summerhouse culture where time seems to stand still.

Image from IMDB

Sex and the City: I know, I know, this isn’t a movie, but Sex and the City manages to capture some of the best New York City summertime scenes ever filmed. While the storyline goes on as usual, the characters get sweaty walking on city streets, visit farmer’s markets, lick ice cream cones, and enjoy cocktails on restaurant patios. (Especially season 4, episode 11; season 5, episode 6; season 5, episode 8)

What are your favorite summertime movies?

No comments:

Post a Comment