Wednesday, July 4, 2012

My Desk: A Love Story

Working full-time and going to grad school, I have logged many hours sitting with ol’ Bessy, the mahogany desk I bought with my first real paycheck. It was love at first sight for Bessy and I. She was sleek and modern; I was doe eyed and dreamed of conquering the world with her. But like all love, the honeymoon phase ended. We grew distant. She would argue that I was neglectful— that I was too busy to tackle the papers carelessly tossed on her each night, that I was really in love with that temptress the couch. We didn’t spend quality time together. I was too busy with TV and friends. Sure, she was still the same desk I once loved, but we just weren’t efficient together. We needed help.



It boiled down to incompatibility.  She spent her days against a white wall, with no organization system. She became a dumping ground for my stuff. I needed a desk that could organize me, hold my attention and increase productivity. I needed to ditch the couch and make up with my desk. So I painted the walls around Bessy a stimulating robin blue, a color that energizes me to work. I dug Bessy out from all the papers, and hung fashion bins to corral the mess. I cleared off her top, keeping only essential items, leaving ample work room. A pop of red by the computer keeps they eyes’ attention on the work space. Above Bessy I hung a piece of art to focus the room and give her the attention she deserves. It cost about $60 (including paint) to get my relationship with Bessy on track. We’ve been together for 6 years now, and our relationship has never been better.



No comments:

Post a Comment