Thursday, July 12, 2012

Own Your Stuff, Don't Let It Own You

Last fall, I packed up my apartment in Chicago and moved east to start grad school in Boston. Moving is never a pleasant task, but this move was more stressful than others. For the first time in my life, I could no longer fit all my belongings into the back of my station wagon. I’m not just talking about the big stuff I had acquired like my bed and couch. I now had cupboards full of dishes, a Cuisinart, guest sheets, a Swifter, too many shoes, and certainly too many books. I was drowning in stuff and I’m not a hoarder. I simply required all this stuff to live a pretty basic existence as a functional adult.

Comedian George Carlin opens his famous 1986 standup comedy sketch on “Stuff” with a few lines explaining his tardiness: “I would have been out here sooner, but they gave me the wrong dressing room and I couldn’t find any place for my stuff… You know how important that is. That’s the whole meaning of life isn’t it? Trying to find a place for your stuff.” Comedic and oh, so wise. I have spent many an hour trying to find a place for my stuff. 


As Americans, we measure the success of our economy through consumer confidence reports and treat shopping as a leisure activity. “Our primary identity has become that of consumer, not mothers, teachers, farmers, but consumers,” says Annie Leonard in her video project The Story of Stuff. Following my stressful move, I’ve made a concerted effort to ensure that finding a place for my stuff doesn’t become the meaning of my life. I want to own my stuff, not the other way around. So I put a game plan in place to control my too-much-stuff habit.


  • When possible, and especially when buying gifts, buy handmade. Etsy and local craft fairs are great places to do this. I've found that I even enjoy my coffee more when I'm drinking it from a hand-thrown mug. 
  • When buying something new, get rid of something old. If I buy a new piece of clothing, I give an older item to Goodwill. 
  • Use everything I own at least once a year. If I don't use it, then I get rid of it. 
  • Stay organized. This acts as incentive to accumulate less and get rid of more.  

This plan, as it turns out, has had some great side effects. I save money by buying less things and I generally feel less stressed and frantic by being organized and cherishing the things I do own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment