Thursday, July 26, 2012

Simple Aromatherapy at Home

Throughout the day we're surrounded by synthetic fragrances and toxic cleaning chemicals. The effects these fragrances and chemicals have on human health is up for debate. The debate, however, isn't: "Are they OK to use?" or "Are they bad to use?" But rather: "They may be harmful," or "They are DEFINITELY harmful."

OK, enough said about that. The point of this post isn't to be a downer or an alarmist. The point of this post is talk about aromatherapy, which you may need to start practicing to relax yourself after thinking about synthetic fragrances and harmful chemicals. 

While I can't control what cleaning products my office uses or what cologne the guy at Macy's sprays into the air while I'm shopping for sheets, I can control what I use in my own home. I try to use natural cleaning products (Seventh Generation, for example, which says on its labels: "If ingested, drink plenty of water.") and I also make some products on my own. And in place of synthetically scented candles, I use essential oils. 


The thing about using essential oils in place of candles is that unlike natural cleaners, which occasionally don't live up to their chemical counterparts (I'm sorry, but hot water and vinegar cannot compete with Drano), essentials oils often smell better than their synthetic counterparts. Instead of a fake lavender scent, use real lavender essential oil. Love the smell of roses, or jasmine, or Christmas trees? Well rose, jasmine, and pine essential oil all smell stronger and more true to life than synthetically scented candles.

To get started you need: essential oil, clean burning unscented candle, and a diffuser. Mix and match oils to create your own scents. I'm not sure if I believe 100% in the health benefits that some attribute to aromatherapy, but I do believe that certain scents are tied with certain moods. Here's a good place to start your essential oil collection:

  • Lavender: relaxing, calming, soothing, stress relieving
  • Citrus scents (grapefruit, lemon, orange, bergamot): uplifting, cheering, great in the morning
  • Medicinal scents (peppermint, eucalyptus, tea tree): purifying, refreshing, helps clear your lungs if you have a cold and cleans the air
  • Woodsy scents (pine, rosemary, cedar): invigorating, strengthening
  • Flowery scents (jasmine, rose, yang-yang): sensual, romantic, relaxing
You can buy essential oils at Whole Foods and other natural grocery stores, or online. But be careful - make sure they are labeled as "essential oils," which are derived from distilling or pressing plants. "Home fragrance oils" or reed diffuser kits are typically made with synthetic fragrances. 




No comments:

Post a Comment