Thursday, July 26, 2012

Newport Folk Festival To Go


Photo by Ryan Mastro Photography
A few years ago, after a series of likes and dislikes on Pandora lead me to Justin Bieber and subsequently away from the cute guy looking my way from the neighboring treadmill, I decided to rework my musical algorithm. Cue Damien Rice, Lisa Hannigan, Ray LaMontagne, and Iron & Wine, to name a few. Yes, folk music! I don't always understand the lyrics, and definitely can't unfold those complicated melodies, but I always feel at ease when I listen. 

This weekend I'll be posted up at the annual Newport Folk Festival, pretending I own one of those gorgeous sailboats around Fort Adams in Newport, Rhode Island.

Fort Adams is situated at the mouth of Newport Harbor with panoramic views of the Newport Bridge. Synonymous with music festivals like Coachella and Bonaroo, the festival at the Fort features 4 stages of music, food & crafts, and a number of artistic displays.  If you'll be in attendance, you're probably wondering how to navigate your way through all that folk and keep up with the latest event updates leading up to the shows. Or if you're halfway across the country and completely unfamiliar with the festival, the lineup, or the fact that Rhode Island is indeed a state, you might want to download the festival's free app




Produced by The Newport Festivals Foundation, the NewportFolk app for iPhone and Android smartphones features:

1. Artist profiles: I'm not familiar with all of the festival's performers, so I love that there are profiles featuring pictures, videos, and descriptions for each band. It's a great way to discover new music.

2. Performance schedules: Categorized by day, time, artist, and stage location. OR pick and choose which shows you want to attend and create your own customized schedule.

3. Festival news: Featuring a live Twitter stream from @NewportFolkFest and up-to-date news and feature stories based on the performers.

4. Festival map: For those in search of the Harbor Stage or the Beer Pier.

5. Photobooth: Take and share picture as you explore the festival!


Get your folk on.

No comments:

Post a Comment